Search This Blog

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Swap Stress = necessary evil or self-inflicted torture?

Let me 1st clarify swap; to swap artwork with other neurotic artistic types, with a certain theme and within a certain format, with imposed deadlines that may or may not be adhered to by the member(s) or the group.  Glad I could simplify that...sarcasm intended.
******
You could Google card swap or chunky book swap or search on Flickr for plenty of examples...or you can take a gander at my few pitiful pics-below.  Be kind there is some early work in there.  Trust me people I am going to have a miniature light studio box in a short while.  Hope I can learn a few tricks from my photog daughter Kim to take better pictures.
******
And back to our original question; necessary evil or self-inflicted torture?
Necessary evil:  if there was never a deadline would an artist complete anything?  Hmm, almost a tree falls in the forest type of question.
So the stress literally forces me to make creative decisions, just do it, and get the work finished ...even if I am not completely content with it.   
Self-inflicted torture:  these swaps are not a government mandated experience.  I signed up for these.  I chose to join a group of artists in creative (dis)-harmony.  I have no one to blame but myself for getting into the swap.  Also, my own tendency to procrastinate-my creative process-is a natural foil to the essential deadline.  Hence self-inflicted.
So the answer is yes.  Necessary evil and self-inflicted torture.
All of this to keep myself from going into my studio and start/finish my Chunky Book Swap page for this month.  It's even on my favorite game-Scrabble.  Yet all the ideas swirling thru the grey matter have not coalesced into a design decision.  Yep, I will just have to DO IT!
Oh, and I have 2 challenges for the CIA - Collaborative of Inspired Artists - meeting this week as well.  A metal pear and a wooden egg cup.  Sigh....I know.  Just DO IT!
Can I just repeat that procrastination is my creative process?  Umm, can't get away with it can I?  Deadline looms and studio awaits.  Ask me for pics so I will get it done this weekend instead of Tues at midnight.
I can hear the lyrics of the procrastination song my girls created years ago going thru my mind.... pro cras ti nation its the name of the game, pro cras ti nation I'll just do it another day.  Procrastination is more fun, I'd rather dread it than get it done...  You get the point.  Obviously a family trait/tragedy.
Enjoying the 55 degree drop with hot coffee and a chunk of chocolate with pecans and fruit.
-Trishalish






1 comment:

Trish said...

Too tired for a new blog subject since I worked on my pear challenge all night. Almost done. Will post pics when finished.
Nite,
-Trishter