Search This Blog

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Disappointments & Redemption

It is amazing how many highs & lows one can go thru in such a short period of time. I called Cheryl from Little Falls to let her know we were coming into Staples & she had heard that the Wadena County Fair was pretty disappointing. They didn't even have a midway this year & the demolition derby had been the night before. Then the hotel was not really what the website portrayed. I mean it wasn't the Bates Motel, but it was as stripped down as it gets. Bob convinced me to drive around & to check out the fair anyways. I am glad he did.
I gave a guided tour of Verndale before the sun disappeared & a shorter one of Wadena. When we found the fairgrounds we heard loud growling sounds. Woo Hoo! The stock car race was on!! I hadn't been to a stock car race since I was a kid & it was the 4th of July & we had gone to Alexandria. (Otherwise known as Alec.) Anyways it was noisy & exciting & we were splattered with mud & I loved every minute of it! Then we wandered thru the booths & the exhibits & saw the largest cabbage I have ever seen, listened to a local band playing Aerosmith & CCR & Duran Duran. Varied, not bad...not great, but not bad. We ate BBQ chicken, corndogs, & had real milkshakes made by dairy farmers. It was great, way smaller than I expected & the midway consisted of huge blowups for the kids to jump in, that was sad. They are all feeling the economy. Today is the big day...Wadena has their Crazy Days sidewalk sales & at Verndale there is the museum, the parade, the booths at the park, & the street dance at night. There I will finally see Cheryl in person. And I have loads of notes to take for research.
Ciao for now!

No comments: